Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
by Cory Booker (2016)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
Books by and about the 2016 presidential election|
| What Happened ,|
by Hillary Clinton (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Hard Choices,|
by Hillary Clinton (2014)
| Becoming ,|
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
2016 Vermont Gubernatorial race: debates and news coverage
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2016 VT Governor's race (number of quotes indicated):
- Bruce Lisman (3) Vermont Republican 2016 Gubernatorial candidate
- Matt Dunne (5) Vermont Democratic Gubernatorial Challenger
- Peter Shumlin (1) Vermont Democratic Governor (retiring 2016)
- Phil Scott (20) Vermont Republican challenger for Governor
- Sue Minter (14) Vermont Democratic 8Gubernatorial candidate
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Vermont Gubernatorial debates and race coverage:
- Associated Press in Washington Post, "Governor hopefuls distancing themselves from Clinton & Trump", by David A. Lieb, October 1 2016
- Marijuana Policy Project (mpp.org), "Vermont Voter Guide", downloaded Sept. 9, 2016
- Burlington Free Press, "Lisman endorses Gov. John Kasich for president", by April Burbank, February 29, 2016
- WCAX TV-3, "Vt. gubernatorial candidates talk business", by Alexei Rubenstei, Dec. 16, 2015
- Washington Times, "Shumlin won't run for 4th term in 2016", by Associated Press, June 8, 2015
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Bruce Lisman: Supports abortion rights and funding for Planned Parenthood.
Phil Scott: Abortion isn't a black-and-white issue, but I'm pro-choice.
Phil Scott: No taxpayer funding for abortion; but ok for family planning.
Budget & Economy|
Phil Scott: I won't sign a budget that exceeds reasonable limits.
Sue Minter: Government can partner with workforce to grow economy.
Phil Scott: Supports gay marriage and transgender bathroom rights.
Sue Minter: Economic security for women via livable wages and equal pay.
Matt Dunne: State manager to help each manufacturer navigate rules.
Phil Scott: Private prisons needed because full cost borne by state.
Sue Minter: Phase out the use of private prisons altogether.
Phil Scott: Address opiate addiction via prevention & enforcement.
Bruce Lisman: No legalization now; let's see what happens in other states.
Matt Dunne: Legalize marijuana quickly; prohibition hasn't worked.
Phil Scott: No legalization at this time; but I'm not saying never.
Sue Minter: Supports legalizing marijuana.
Sue Minter: Addicts need treatment, not jail time.
Matt Dunne: Create a trusted Vermont brand of legalized marijuana.
Phil Scott: Supports growing industrial hemp in Vermont.
Phil Scott: Preserve school choice; improve Act 46 school consolidation.
Sue Minter: Universal pre-K via public-private partnerships.
Phil Scott: Age-appropriate sex education in schools.
Energy & Oil|
Sue Minter: Keep electric rates low to compete in New England.
Phil Scott: Combat climate change & reduce our reliance on fossil fuels.
Sue Minter: Protect our state's waters, farmland, and forests.
Sue Minter: Led efforts in Climate Preparedness & catastrophic flooding.
Phil Scott: Support local agriculture; they're stewards of our land.
Phil Scott: Reduce chemicals in consumer goods, when evidence warrants.
Families & Children|
Matt Dunne: Paid leave insurance policy to fund FMLA maternity leave.
Sue Minter: Call for transparency and accountability in state agencies.
Phil Scott: Enforce existing gun laws; Vermont is no gun trafficker.
Sue Minter: Universal background checks; ban assault weapons.
Sue Minter: Gun violence has reached a crisis point; more gun safety.
Phil Scott: Replace dysfunctional Vermont Health Connect with subsidies.
Sue Minter: Focus on containing costs in Vermont Health Connect.
Phil Scott: Affordable health care? Yes; single-payer? No.
Phil Scott: Protect Northeast Kingdom economy from EB-5 fallout.
Principles & Values|
Phil Scott: The right leader at the right time.
Peter Shumlin: Retiring after three terms to return to the business world.
Bruce Lisman: Reset our finances and no new taxes.
Phil Scott: Property taxes shouldn't grow faster than property values.
Phil Scott: Reform alternative utility regulation; no executive bonuses.
Sue Minter: Utility rate goal: transparent process & affordable rates.
Welfare & Poverty|
Matt Dunne: Guide corporate partnerships with nonprofit & public sectors.
Click for quotations from other sources by:
- Bruce Lisman Vermont Republican 2016 Gubernatorial candidate
- Matt Dunne Vermont Democratic Gubernatorial Challenger
- Peter Shumlin Vermont Democratic Governor (retiring 2016)
- Phil Scott Vermont Republican challenger for Governor
- Sue Minter Vermont Democratic 8Gubernatorial candidate
The above quotations are from 2016 Vermont Gubernatorial race: debates and news coverage.
2014-15 Governors' book excerpts:
- Power Lines, by Gubernatorial candidate Jason Carter (D,GA)
- Dialogues, by Governor Jerry Brown (D,CA)
- A Return to Values:, by Gubernatorial candidate Bob Beauprez (R,CO)
- The Party's Over, by Gubernatorial candidate Charlie Crist (D,FL)
- A State of Opportunity, by Gubernatorial candidate Eliot Cutler (I,ME)
- Scorpions for Breakfast, by Gov. Jan Brewer (R,AZ)
- In Mortal Danger, by 2014 gubernatorial candidate Tom Tancredo (R,CO)
- From Power to Purpose, by Gov. Sam Brownback (R,KS)
- Leadership and Crisis, by Gov. Bobby Jindal (R,LA)
- A Reason to Believe, by Gov. Deval Patrick (D,MA)
- Governor`s Travels, by Gov. Angus King (I,ME)
- Crossroads, by Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D,NY)
- Stand For Something, by Gov. John Kasich (R,OH)
- Against the Tide, by Gov. Linc Chafee (I,RI)
- Fed Up!, by Gov. Rick Perry (R,TX)
- What A Party!, by 2013 gubernatorial candidate Terry McAuliffe (D,VA)
- Last Line of Defense, by 2013 gubernatorial candidate Ken Cuccinelli (R,VA)