Scott Inman on Immigration
Constitutional amendment for English as official language
Inman voted YEA on HJR 1042, English as Official State Language, Joint Resolution Passed House (66-32).
Vote to pass a joint resolution that submits a constitutional amendment to the voters that designates English as the official language of the
State of Oklahoma:
Source: Vote Smart's Synopsis of Oklahoma Legislative voting records
, Mar 11, 2009
- Mandates that official actions of the state be conducted in English.
- Specifies that the state may use languages other than English for official actions if such use is essential to do any of the following:
Teach or encourage the learning of languages other than English;
- Protect the public health and safety;
- Teach and use sign-language for the deaf and hard-of-hearing or braille for blind or sight-impaired;
- Comply with federal law;
Protect the rights of victims of crime and criminal defendants;
- Promote trade, commerce and tourism;
- Promote relations with Native American tribes or organizations; and
- Create or promote mottos or designations, or inscribe public monuments.
Page last updated: Jun 29, 2018