Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Fire and Fury,|
by Michael Wolff (2018)
| Trump Revealed,|
by Michael Kranish and Marc Fisher (2016)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2016)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
by Cory Booker (2016)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
Socialist perspectives on politics, economics, and culture
(Click for external website)
Articles in Jacobin magazine:
- On Confirmation Hearings: "It Pays to Be Rahm Emanuel," by David Sirota, Walker Bragman, 08.24.2021
- "Rahm Emanuel Wants Big Carve-Outs to a $15 Minimum Wage," by Andrew Perez and Julia Rock, 04.02.2021
- (On 2021 Virginia Governor race): "Socialist Lee Carter Wants to Be Virginia's Next Governor," by Indigo Olivier, January 2021
- "Who Will Xavier Becerra Serve as Joe Biden's HHS Secretary?," by David Sirota & Andrew Perez, 12.7.20
- On Biden Cabinet: "Biden's Possible HHS Pick Shielded Nursing Homes From Liability for COVID Spreads," by Julia Rock & Andrew Perez, 12.02.20
- Biden Cabinet, "Joe Biden Just Appointed His Climate Movement Liaison. It's a Fossil-Fuel Industry Ally," by David Sirota, Julia Rock, & Andrew Perez, 11.17.20
- Democratic primary: "Elizabeth Warren's Public Education Problem," by Eric Blanc, 9.25.19
- "The Task Ahead Is Enormous, and There Is Not Much Time," Noam Chomsky interview by Harrison Samphir, 07.12.2019
- "Stick With Bernie," by Carl Beijer, May 3, 2019
- "Mike Gravel Should Be on the 2020 Debate Stage," by Branko Marcetic, May 2019
- "Julian Castro's Early, Neoliberal Years," by Branko Marcetic, 2/15/2019
- "Howard Schultz's #MeToo Problem at Starbucks," by Liza Featherstone, Feb. 2019
- "Socialism and Progressives," 1/8/2019
- "Biden on Mass Incarceration," 8/9/18
- "Joe Biden, Neoliberal Democrat," 8/7/18
- "Joe Biden: Military Hawk," 8/2/18
- "How Boston Kicked Out the Olympics," by Queen Arsem-O'Malley, 07.30.2015
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Budget & Economy|
Kamala Harris: Prosecuted fewer foreclosure fraud cases than smaller states.
Julian Castro: Protections for GLBTQ; benefits to same-sex partners.
Howard Schultz: Starbucks did little to stop sexual harassment of employees.
Tulsi Gabbard: Against gay marriage but no government morality.
Julian Castro: Supported tax breaks to lure corporations.
Elizabeth Warren: Proposes new federal limits for corporations.
Kamala Harris: Tough stance on mortgage lenders fell short.
Kamala Harris: Focus on helping non-violent young offenders.
Kamala Harris: Defied pressure for death penalty for cop killer.
Joe Biden: 1989: Bush didn't go far enough in War on Drugs.
Joe Biden: Proud of backing tough drug laws & penalties.
Joe Biden: 1981: Militarized domestic police against drugs.
Elizabeth Warren: Supported all-voucher system for public schools in 2003 book.
Julian Castro: Extended Pre-K education for needy kids.
Elizabeth Warren: Invest in education, but focus on results.
Energy & Oil|
Cedric Richmond: Supported fracking, 76% Conservation Voters lifetime rating.
Noam Chomsky: Limited time on climate change; US going in wrong direction.
Noam Chomsky: Market can't solve climate change, structural changes needed.
Noam Chomsky: Task ahead enormous & there is not much time.
Julian Castro: Green Jobs Leadership Council: more solar; less coal.
Julian Castro: Supported both fossil fuel and green energy.
Kamala Harris: Prosecuted polluters for illegal dumping and air pollution.
Families & Children|
Kamala Harris: Punish parents of chronically truant kids.
Noam Chomsky: Israel relies on support from reactionary fundamentalists.
Noam Chomsky: Establish a nuclear weapons free zone in Middle East.
Tulsi Gabbard: Skeptical of Iran nuclear deal.
Tulsi Gabbard: Supports Egyptian dictator in fight against terrorism.
Tulsi Gabbard: Against criticizing India's treatment of Muslims.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Opposes boycotts of businesses in Israel.
Rahm Emanuel: Wrote op-ed "Medicare-for-All is a Pipe Dream".
Xavier Becerra: 2016: rescind patents for government funded medicine.
Gina Raimondo: COVID: civil liability immunity for hospitals, nursing homes.
Gina Raimondo: Privatized & cut budgets for Medicaid.
Beto O`Rourke: Supports Medicare for America as public option.
Kamala Harris: Require pharmaceutical companies to allow generics.
Jerry Brown: How would we pay for single-payer?
John Hickenlooper: Too soon to make changes in Obamacare.
Michael Bennet: Single payer would lead to massive tax increase.
Nancy Pelosi: Single payer plans better handled by states.
Julian Castro: Supported military expansion into cybersecurity.
Joe Biden: 1991: Favors government "back doors" into encryption.
Tulsi Gabbard: 2015: Favor Christian over Islamic refugees.
Kirsten Gillibrand: 2007 SAVE Act: beef up border; oppose sanctuary cities.
Kirsten Gillibrand: 2010: moratorium on government immigration raids.
Rahm Emanuel: Raise minimum wage to $15/hour but allow states to opt out.
Julian Castro: Opposed unionizing city employees.
Principles & Values|
Lee Carter: I'm a socialist, "democratic socialist" is redundant.
Bernie Sanders: 2019 OpEd: Bernie is best chance to beat Biden.
Marty Walsh: Put an end to Boston's bid for summer Olympics.
Joe Biden: Freeze entitlements; don't favor special interests.
Julian Castro: Senior/disabled property tax freeze favored wealthy.
War & Peace|
Noam Chomsky: No-nuke zone in Middle East would end military aid to Israel.
Mike Gravel: Filibustered to end the military draft.
Tulsi Gabbard: Use military to fight terrorists, not for regime change.
Tulsi Gabbard: Opposes fighting in Afghanistan & Syria; end arms to Saudis.
The above quotations are from Jacobin Magazine
Socialist perspectives on politics, economics, and culture.