Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Fire and Fury,|
by Michael Wolff (2018)
| Trump Revealed,|
by Michael Kranish and Marc Fisher (2016)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2016)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
by Cory Booker (2016)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
Columns and news articles in USA Today
(Click for external website)
Articles in USA Today newspaper:
- "Joe Biden accepts Democratic nomination as 'ally of the light, not the darkness'," by Bart Jansen, 8/21/20
- "Bolton book accuses Trump of seeking foreign help for political gain," by Ledyard King, 6/17/2020
- (On 2023 MS Gov), 2022 TX Gov, and 2022 OH Gov): "Are abortions considered essential surgery during coronavirus crisis?," by Doug Stanglin, Giacomo Bologna, & Alissa Zhu, March 25, 2020
- (On Trump Impeachment): "Trump says he has been denied due process. But the Constitution does not afford him that.," by Kristine Phillips, 12/30/2019
- (On Trump Impeachment): "Trump says he gives Democrat Tulsi Gabbard 'a lot of respect' for voting present on impeachment," by William Cummings, 12/22/19
- "Will Deval Patrick be president? Not if his past scandals have anything to say about it," by James Bovard, 11/27/19
- "Democratic presidential candidate Tom Steyer shares his views on current issues," 11/7/19
- "Andrew Yang shares his views on current issues," 11/7/19
- "Joe Walsh apologizes for past racist comments," by Jeanine Santucci, Aug. 25, 2019
- (On Trump Cabinet): "Immigration official Ken Cuccinelli: Statue of Liberty poem refers to immigrants from Europe," by Rebecca Morin, Aug. 13, 2019
- "Joe Sestak becomes 24th candidate to seek 2020 Democratic nomination," by William Cummings, 6/23/2019
- "Ban assault weapons and buy them back," OpEd by Eric Swalwell, May 3, 2018 (Updated April 8, 2019)
- (On Matt Bevin): USA Today on 2019 Kentucky gubernatorial race, 11/13/2018
- (On Donald Trump): USA Today OpEd (press release by 2018 Trump Administration), 10/10/2018
- On 2022 Alaska Senate race: "'I can see 2022 from my house': Palin taunts Murkowski ahead of Kavanaugh vote," by Joel Shannon, 10/5/2018
- (On Mike Pence): USA Today on 2018 Trump Administration, 8/31/2018
- (On Chris McDaniel & Cindy Hyde-Smith): USA Today on 2018 MS Senate Special Election, 3/22/2018
- (On Mike Espy): USA Today on 2018 MS Senate Special Election, 12/9/2017
- (On Jeff Apodaca): USA Today on 2018 New Mexico Gubernatorial race, 7/17/2017
- On 2022 LA Senate, "La. senator brings up mayonnaise during education hearing," by Deborah Barfield Berry, June 6, 2017
- "Congress should tax wealthy 1 percenters like me to combat cheating like Trump's," by Tom Steyer, 10/22/2016
- (On Donald Trump): USA Today fact-check on NBC Commander-in-Chief forum, 9/7/2016 & 9/27/2016
- (On Gary Johnson): USA Today on 2016 presidential hopefuls, 6/16/2016
- (On Richard Cordray): Jiayue Huang in USA Today on 2018 Ohio gubernatorial race, 11/18/2015
- (On Pope Francis): USA Today's Jane Onyanga-Omara on 2018 Papacy, 7/25/2015
- (On Catherine Cortez Masto): USA Today on 2016 Nevada Senate race, 4/16/2015
- (On Ted Cruz): USA Today on 2015 Conservative Political Action Conf., 2/26/2015
- (On Scott Brown): USA Today AdWatch on 2014 New Hampshire Senate race, 1/8/2014
- (On Kay Hagan): USA Today AdWatch on 2014 North Carolina Senate race, 1/2/2014
- (On Thad Cochran): USA Today on 2014 Mississippi Senate race, 12/6/2013
- (On Pat Roberts & Todd Tiahrt): USA Today reporting on 2014 Kansas Senate race, 10/29/2013
- USA Today, "Don't force Boy Scouts to give up their rights," by Karen Testerman, LuAnne Dietz and Ellen Samek, April 3, 2013
- (On Donald Trump): USA Today report on 2011 Conservative Political Action Conf., 2/10/2011
- (On David Dewhurst): Associated Press in USA Today, "Unbowed", 6/26/2008
- (On Ron Paul): USA Today, 12/17/2007
- (On Charlie Dent): Profile of Charlie Dent, USA Today, 11/2/2004
- (On Al Green): Candidate Profile of Al Green, USA Today, 11/2/2004
- Candidate Profile of Charlie Dent, Kenny Marchant, Mike Fitzpatrick, USA Today, 11/2/2004
- (On Wesley Clark): USA Today, "Clark says he may run for president", 6/20/2003
- (On Rick Santorum): Associated Press in USA Today: Santorum Interview, 4/23/2003
- (On George W. Bush): USA Today, p. 2A, 5/14/2001
- (On Colin Powell): USA Today, p. 8A, 5/8/2001
- (On George W. Bush): Mimi Hall, USA Today, p. 7A, 5/2/2001
- (On Gerald Ford): USA Today, p. 4A, 5/1/2001
- (On Dick Cheney): USA Today, p. 1A, 5/1/2001
- (On Donald Rumsfeld): USA Today, by Dave Moniz, p. 1A, 4/27/2001
- (On Lindsey Graham): USA Today, by Tom Squitieri, p. 4A, 4/27/2001
- (On George W. Bush): CNN.com reporting from USA Today, 1/12/2001
- (On George W. Bush): Rita Rubin, USA Today, p. 1A, 9/29/2000
- (On Al Gore): USA Today editorials, page 16A, 4/13/2000
- (On George W. Bush): USA Today editorials, page 16A, 4/13/2000
- (On Pat Buchanan): USA Today, page 8A, 4/13/2000
- (On George W. Bush): USA Today editorial by Bush, page 16A, 4/13/2000
- "Senate candidate admits cocaine use: Lincoln Chafee," 08/23/99
- USA Today, "Senate candidate admits cocaine use: Lincoln Chafee," 08/23/99
- (On George W. Bush): USA Today, "Not taking GOP nomination for granted", 8/19/1999
- (On Bob Kerrey): USA Today Mon Dec 7, 1998, p.18a, col.2, 12/7/1998
- (On Rev. Jesse Jackson): USA Today Mon Dec 7, 1998, p.18a, col.3, 12/7/1998
- (On Alan Keyes): Interview with USA Today, 1/23/1996
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Greg Abbott: Abortions unnecessary except for woman's life or health.
Mike DeWine: Deflects questions about abortion during pandemic.
Tate Reeves: Abortion services elective and unnecessary during pandemic.
Andrew Cuomo: Protect right to abortion if Roe is overturned.
Donald Trump: Completed conversion from 1999 pro-choice to 2019 pro-life.
Republican Party: OpEd: Democrats now openly support the murder of newborns.
Pope Francis: Abortion is like hiring a hit man to solve a problem.
Pope Francis: Abortion for fetal abnormalities same as Nazi-era eugenics.
Catherine Cortez Masto: Endorsed by EMILY's List.
Donald Trump: I am pro-life; fight ObamaCare abortion funding.
Charlie Dent: Support abortion rights.
Kenny Marchant: Parental notification for underage to receive abortion.
Mike Fitzpatrick: Oppose abortion rights.
Rick Santorum: There is no federal right to privacy.
Lindsey Graham: Federal crime to harm fetus during an assault.
George W. Bush: Approval of RU-486 is wrong.
Budget & Economy|
Andrew Yang: We need to take best parts of both capitalism & socialism.
Donald Trump: FactCheck: Paid income taxes for 3 years out of 5 in 1970s.
Al Green: Entrepreneurs & small businesses are the economy’s backbone.
Joe Walsh: It's racist to say "go back to where you came from".
John Merrill: America too interested in homosexual activities on TV.
Mike Espy: First black Mississippian in Congress since Reconstruction.
Rick Santorum: Homosexual orientation ok; but homosexual act are sodomy.
George W. Bush: No gays in Boy Scouts.
Andrew Yang: Anti-trust doesn't address issues of modern tech companies.
Tom Steyer: Unchecked capitalism has failed us.
Chris McDaniel: Grade "D" by Business/Industry Political Education Committee.
Scott Brown: AdWatch: Loosened financial reform regulations.
Tom Steyer: Focus on white supremacist violence as domestic terrorism.
Martha McSally: Criminalize harassment in military, keep commander's role.
David Dewhurst: Death is appropriate punishment for repeat child molesters.
Deval Patrick: 2012: As governor, opposed pot decriminalization.
Andrew Yang: Fines and judgements to fund treatment of opioid crisis.
Lincoln Chafee: Not proud of trying cocaine as college student.
Betsy DeVos: States can fund private schools but not parochial schools.
Brett Kavanaugh: States funding private schools must fund parochial schools.
Clarence Thomas: States funding private schools must fund parochial schools.
Elena Kagan: States can fund private schools but not parochial schools.
John Roberts: States funding private schools must fund parochial schools.
Neil Gorsuch: States funding private schools must fund parochial schools.
Ruth Bader Ginsburg: States can fund private schools but not parochial schools.
Samuel Alito: States funding private schools must fund parochial schools.
Sonia Sotomayor: States can fund private schools but not parochial schools.
Stephen Breyer: States can fund private schools but not parochial schools.
Andrew Yang: Forgive "significant portion" of student loan debt.
Tom Steyer: I will tackle the student debt crisis head on.
Tom Steyer: Supports two years free tuition to community colleges.
Jeff Apodaca: Make state's Pre-K a year-round program.
John Neely Kennedy: Willing to try anything including vouchers & school choice.
George W. Bush: Vouchers ensure school accountability.
Energy & Oil|
Andrew Yang: Get incentives right to subsidize renewable energy.
Tom Steyer: On Day 1: declare climate crisis a national emergency.
Tom Steyer: End subsidies & tax breaks for fossil fuels.
George W. Bush: Incentives for high-mileage cars, but drill for more oil.
George W. Bush: More exploration, more nuclear, more energy research.
Dick Cheney: Energy plan focuses on production.
Tom Steyer: Nuclear energy is risky & not cost competitive.
Thad Cochran: The Quiet Persuader: Got $29B for Katrina rebuilding.
Families & Children|
Rick Santorum: Church scandals caused by "right to privacy lifestyle".
John Kerry: Trump turned world of respect into world of chaos.
Donald Trump: No involvement in Hong Kong protest or Tiananmen anniversary.
Joe Sestak: Building liberal world order is what makes America First.
Donald Trump: Reject ideology of globalism; embrace doctrine of patriotism.
Donald Trump: Foreign aid only for allies with shared values.
David Perdue: National debt impacts our foreign policy.
Alan Keyes: Rwanda: Humanitarian grounds 150x more than in Bosnia.
Donald Trump: China should buy more American farm products.
Joe Biden: Trump's flimsy trade deal sells out US interest to China.
John Bolton: Trump's China trade deal focused on re-election help.
Colin Powell: Democracy flowers when trade is free.
Andrew Yang: Automatic voter registration & lower voting age to 16.
Tom Steyer: The right to vote is gateway to inclusive democracy.
Lisa Murkowski: Supported Brett Kavanaugh's confirmation to Supreme Court.
Sarah Palin: Supported Brett Kavanaugh's confirmation to Supreme Court.
Charlie Dent: Voted against boosting officials’ pensions by 50 percent.
Pat Buchanan: Will seek non-incumbent Democrat as Vice President.
Deval Patrick: Rejected Ruby Ridge task force recommendations.
Tom Steyer: I will declare gun violence a public health epidemic.
Matt Bevin: Culture of violence, like zombie shows, cause mass shootings.
Eric Swalwell: Ban assault weapons and buy back as many as possible.
Gary Johnson: Carrying guns reduces crime and mass shootings.
Gary Johnson: Discuss keeping guns away from mentally ill.
Rick Perry: Welcomes NRA with a video of him using semi-automatic rifle.
Van Taylor: Proposed bill to allow gun license as form of ID.
Donald Trump: I am against gun control.
Andrew Yang: Provide comprehensive mental health coverage.
Andrew Yang: Supports forced licensing of drug patents to control costs.
Tom Steyer: Supports public option; allow private insurance.
Tom Steyer: More funding is needed for mental health care.
Donald Trump: Medicare for All is really Medicare for None.
Donald Trump: Let vets see private doctors or VA: that's not privatization.
Ted Cruz: Washington wants ObamaCare, the people want liberty.
Kay Hagan: AdWatch: Hagan promised wrongly that all can keep insurance.
Pat Roberts: First to call for Sebelius resignation over ObamaCare fiasco.
Todd Tiahrt: Calls for Sebelius resignation over ObamaCare fiasco.
Rick Perry: Require 6th graders to receive STD vaccination.
Al Green: Ensure quality health care is accessible to all individuals.
Al Gore: Patient rights: access to specialists; right to sue HMOs.
George W. Bush: Family Health Credit: pay for 90% of basic low-income policy.
George W. Bush: Small business health insurance via trade associations.
George W. Bush: $3.6B for 1,200 new community health centers.
George W. Bush: Health care access via empowerment, not nationalizing.
George W. Bush: More CHIPs; more multistate HMOs.
Andrew Yang: Make domestic terrorism a primary focus of FBI, DHS, DOJ.
Donald Rumsfeld: Boost defense spending by $200B over next 6 years.
Ken Cuccinelli: Give me your poor, if they won't become a public charge.
Ken Cuccinelli: Give me your poor, if they won't become a public charge.
Tom Steyer: Decriminalize unauthorized border crossings.
Cindy Hyde-Smith: Noted as "Business and Jobs" champion by oversight committee.
Principles & Values|
John Bolton: Declined impeachment testimony due to "personal involvement".
Donald Trump: More due process was afforded at Salem Witch Trials.
Mitch McConnell: Not an impartial juror about impeachment, at all.
Tulsi Gabbard: Voted "present" because of lack of bipartisan support.
Donald Trump: Open-border socialism brings suffering, misery and decay.
Mike Pence: When criticized about Jesus, I breath a prayer of praise.
Karen Testerman: BSA changing sexual orientation policy leads to atheism.
Ron Paul: Breaks one-day fundraising record: $6M at “Boston Tea Party”.
Bob Smith: Withdraws from FL Senate race, citing lack of money.
Gerald Ford: Profile in Courage Award for pardon of Nixon.
Joe Biden: Protect Social Security & Medicare: "You have my word".
Richard Cordray: Develop consumer tools to use with Social Security decisions.
George W. Bush: Bush commission members all back privatization.
Bob Kerrey: Self-investment of Social Security .
Rev. Jesse Jackson: Opposes privatizing Social Security.
Tom Steyer: Repeal Trump tax cuts; close corporate tax loopholes.
Tom Steyer: Implement 1 percent annual wealth tax on America's richest.
Ted Cruz: Abolish the IRS.
Kenny Marchant: Make Bush’s tax cuts permanent.
Wesley Clark: $5T tax cuts for the rich are legalized theft.
George W. Bush: Retroactive tax cuts may bolster faltering economy.
Tom Steyer: We need to hit reset button on how we think about technology.
Rick Perry: Trans-Texas corridor: 4000 miles of highway & utilities.
War & Peace|
Tom Steyer: Diplomatic measures must always be the first choice.
Donald Trump: I opposed Iraq War in 2004; it destabilized entire Mideast.
Donald Trump: 2011: Knock out Ghadafi; 2016: Libya war was a mistake.
Colin Powell: We must stay the course in Iraq & provide more resources.
Welfare & Poverty|
Tom Steyer: Our affordable housing situation is a crisis.
The above quotations are from Columns and news articles in USA Today.