Thomas Kean Jr.
(Republican, district 7)
On the issues>>
Contact Thomas Kean Jr.
Take the Quiz!
Use a Selector
2020 Senate Races|
Senate incumbents |
SenateMatch (matching quiz)
Senate Votes (analysis)
2017 House special elections
(The following members of the 115th Congress are resigning to take Cabinet positions):
(Candidate quotations organized by topic)|
Social Networking sites for OnTheIssues:
On The Issues
Promote Your Page Too
Our associated Yahoo discussion group
Our iPhone App
iPhone App with ads (free)
Our iPhone App
Same App without ads ($1.99)
(Organized by topic)
(Organized by candidate)
(Most recent quotations)
(Summary by topic)
(Debate and book excerpts)
(Presidential Selector and Political Affiliation 20-question quiz)
(Other viewers' letters)
(Your feedback to us)
Thomas Kean Jr. on Abortion
Click here for 4 full quotes on Abortion
OR background on Abortion.
- Supports embryonic stem cell research. (Dec 2005)
- Opposed Bush's veto of federal stem cell legislation. (Sep 2006)
- No litmus test for judicial nominees. (Sep 2006)
- Menendez distorts my pro-stem-cell stance. (Sep 2006)
Thomas Kean Jr. on Civil Rights
Click here for 4 full quotes on Civil Rights
OR background on Civil Rights.
- Support merit-based initiatives, not affirmative action. (Sep 2006)
- Supports Amendment banning flag-burning, a sacred symbol. (Sep 2006)
- Supports 1-man-1-woman marriage, but no Amendment. (Sep 2006)
- Replace civil unions with same-sex marriage. (Feb 2012)
Thomas Kean Jr. on Education
Click here for 4 full quotes on Education
OR background on Education.
- Measure the progress of every child's education. (May 2006)
- Focus on reducing fraud and duplication in Pell Grants. (Sep 2006)
- Supports Educational Savings Accounts for college. (Sep 2006)
- $6,000 voucher for elementary school; $9,000 for high school. (Feb 2011)
Thomas Kean Jr. on Energy & Oil
Click here for 5 full quotes on Energy & Oil
OR background on Energy & Oil.
- Drives a hybrid car; opposes drilling ANWR. (May 2006)
- Wean America off of fossil fuels altogether. (Oct 2006)
- Reservations about Kyoto Protocol, but supports it locally. (Sep 2006)
- Don't require disclosure of renewables on electric bills. (Mar 2016)
- Fund offshore wind energy development. (Nov 2020)
Thomas Kean Jr. on Government Reform
Click here for 6 full quotes on Government Reform
OR background on Government Reform.
- Campaign-finance reform is signature issue in legislature. (Dec 2005)
- Menendez should give back dirty money. (May 2006)
- Ban pay-to-play practices to reform Congressional lobbying. (Aug 2006)
- Keep the Senate filibuster rules, to encourage negotiation. (Sep 2006)
- Disallow dual-office holding for politicians. (Sep 2006)
- No in-person early voting. (Dec 2014)
Thomas Kean Jr. on Gun Control
Click here for 3 full quotes on Gun Control
OR background on Gun Control.
- Rated "F" by Association of New Jersey Rifle & Pistol Clubs. (Jan 2003)
- Uphold our current firearm laws. (Sep 2006)
- No criminalization of all 50-caliber weapons. (May 2013)
Thomas Kean Jr. on Health Care
Click here for 7 full quotes on Health Care
OR background on Health Care.
- Supports individual Health Savings Accounts. (May 2006)
- Include prescription drug coverage in Medicare. (Sep 2006)
- Address Medicaid by cost containment & reducing fraud. (Sep 2006)
- Medicare needs bipartisan independent reforms. (Sep 2006)
- No additional taxes for medical coverage. (Sep 2006)
- Ok for state to sue to prevent ObamaCare implementation. (Jun 2010)
- Fix our broken system, including maternal & mental health. (Nov 2020)
Thomas Kean Jr. on Homeland Security
Click here for 8 full quotes on Homeland Security
OR background on Homeland Security.
- Grants for port security and counterterrorism. (May 2006)
- Co-sponsored bill establishing Office of Counter-Terrorism. (Jan 2006)
- Deploy missile defense system against North Korean threat. (Sep 2006)
- After Sept. 11th, do whatever it takes to protect America. (Oct 2006)
- Surveillance of personal data ok to win War on Terror. (Sep 2006)
- Respect Geneva Conv. but be flexible in prosecuting terror. (Sep 2006)
- CIA destroyed videotape interrogations of Qaeda operatives. (Mar 2010)
- CIA destroyed videotapes of al Qaeda operatives after 9/11. (Mar 2010)
Thomas Kean Jr. on Immigration
Click here for 3 full quotes on Immigration
OR background on Immigration.
- Stronger borders, no amnesty for illegals. (May 2006)
- Illegal migration is a significant national security concern. (Oct 2006)
- Menendez' soft voting record on immigration is dangerous. (Sep 2006)
Thomas Kean Jr. on Principles & Values
Click here for 4 full quotes on Principles & Values
OR background on Principles & Values.
- Family history for centuries as politicians. (Dec 2005)
- Studying for doctorate in international relations. (Dec 2005)
- Ran for US Congress in 2000 and lost in primary. (Dec 2005)
- Appointed to both the state legislature and the state Senate. (Dec 2005)
Thomas Kean Jr. on Social Security
Click here for 4 full quotes on Social Security
OR background on Social Security.
- Expand options for personal retirement planning. (May 2006)
- No privatization; but bipartisan cooperation needed. (Sep 2006)
- Against privatization; but says Menendez has supported it. (Sep 2006)
- Opposes both privatization and raising seniors' taxes. (Sep 2006)
Thomas Kean Jr. on Tax Reform
Click here for 4 full quotes on Tax Reform
OR background on Tax Reform.
- Make permanent the 2001 and 2003 tax cuts. (May 2006)
- Repeal the unfair Death Tax & the Marriage Penalty Tax. (Sep 2006)
- No increase in top tax rate to reduce property taxes. (Jun 2012)
- Blocked billions of dollars in new taxes & wasteful spending. (Nov 2020)
Thomas Kean Jr. on War & Peace
Click here for 3 full quotes on War & Peace
OR background on War & Peace.
- Supports war in Iraq but distances himself from Bush. (Dec 2005)
- We've made mistakes in Iraq, but must complete our objective. (Sep 2006)
- Can't cut-and-run in Iraq; that's a declaration of defeat. (Sep 2006)
Thomas Kean Jr. is a Moderate Libertarian Conservative
(Click for details)
Click here for VoteMatch quiz.