This page contains bill sponsorships in the Senate and House.
Bill sponsorships indicate the topics that legislators are most interested in, and spend the most time on.
Bill Sponsorship: Real Education for Healthy Youth Act
Source: H.R.725 / S.372
Award competitive grants to provide adolescents with comprehensive sex education to:
Prohibits federal funds provided under this Act from being used for health education programs that:
- replicate evidence-based sex education programs,
- substantially incorporate elements of evidence-based sex education programs, or
- create a demonstration project based on generally accepted characteristics of effective sex education programs.
- deliberately withhold life-saving information about HIV;
- are medically inaccurate or have been scientifically shown to be ineffective;
- promote gender stereotypes;
- are insensitive and unresponsive to the needs of sexually active youth or lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender youth; or
- are inconsistent with the ethical imperatives of medicine and public health.
Opponent's argument against bill: (Nick Wing on Huffington Post) An abstinence-only effort, introduced the same day, the Abstinence Education Reallocation Act, stands as an effective counter to the Democratic-backed Real Education for Healthy Youth Act.
According to the text of the abstinence-only bill, sex education programs would need to be "medically accurate" and teach the "skills and benefits of sexual abstinence as the optimal sexual health behavior for youth" in order to qualify for grant money. The bill also calls for applicable programs to focus on the "holistic health, economic, and societal benefits that can be gained by refraining from non-marital sexual activity," as well as to provide an "understanding of how drugs, alcohol, and the irresponsible use of social media can influence sexual decision-making and can contribute to risky and often aggressive sexual behavior."
Also see the related House of Representatives bill H.R.725 in House and opposition bill S.13
Participating counts on VoteMatch question 4.
Question 4: Keep God in the public sphere
Scores: -2=Strongly oppose; -1=Oppose; 0=neutral; 1=Support; 2=Strongly support.
- Topic: Education
- Headline: Sponsored comprehensive sex ed for sexually-active adolescents
- Headline 2: Comprehensive sex ed for sexually-active adolescents
- Key for participation codes:
- Sponsorships: p=sponsored; o=co-sponsored; s=signed
- Memberships: c=chair; m=member; e=endorsed; f=profiled; s=scored
- Resolutions: i=introduced; w=wrote; a=adopted
- Cases: w=wrote; j=joined; d=dissented; c=concurred
- Surveys: '+' supports; '-' opposes.
participating in 13-S0372
participating in 13-S0372
Total recorded by OnTheIssues: